Juzam, ponderings, and Bay Area old school

This is my mecca:


It's been so many years since I first layed my eyes on Juzam. I've attempted to get one at least five times; the first time I really tried to trade for one was almost 15 years ago. In some way, I understand that the monetary value of my foiled Mind Sculptors are about the same as this dude, in all other ways they are miles apart. I feel kind of an awe towards Juzam, and that is nothing I can say about most of my cards. I bought my first yesterday.

This is a hard format to get into, and an emotional way to play magic. As we grow, more ideas of what old school magic should be are voiced. How do we maintain rules while still maintain feeling? When can we break the 7-set rule, the ban/restricted list, or the idea of competition without eventually breaking the spirit of some of the players with different ideas of nostalgia, or with different goals of why they play? These are very hard questions, and after additional feedback from players it's something that I've been thinking a lot about lately. My way of ideal magic may not be the same way as other players, and who are we to judge if someone loves to play with Sewers of Estark or Artist Proof cards? I don't know.

Another thing I've been thinking about is however once again the Ali from Cairo deck from my German tech books. Gawd that pile is awesome! If someone plays 4-off Ali at n00bcon I'll be almost as impressed as if someone breaks Mana Vortex.

Two weeks away from n00bcon btw, on that same note. Here are some of the prizes for our pimping heroes:

I have my eyes on the orginal painting of the pin :)

Finally, the first guy in the San Francisco bay area has joined the community! I worked in the City in 2006, and I'd love to at some point come back to break Dustin's classic Howling Mine vs Argothian Pixies matchup ;)

Classy man with classy cards!

/mg

Kommentarer